Teaching Staff: Mr J Cope
Examination Board: WJEC/CBAC Syllabus Code 4110
This will be studied in 1 year over 6 periods
Unit 1 Written Paper 40% Unit 2 Controlled Assessment Task 60%
• The Project Briefs are set by the board in September.
• It is a Controlled Assessment Task of 30 hours spread across the
autumn and spring terms with a 2 hour single tier examination in May.
• All the project written and design work is to be done in school aided
by materials and notes prepared in advance at home.
DESIGN TECHNOLOGY GCSE IN RESISTANT MATERIALS EXPLORES THE FOLLOWING AREAS OF DESIGN.
• Developing, Planning and Communicating Ideas.
• Product Analysis – looking at existing products for inspiration and ideas.
• Other Designers / Practitioners e.g. James Dyson.
• Industrial manufacturing practices.
• Materials and Components.
• Tools, equipment, machines for shaping wood, metal and plastics.
• ICT/CAD/CAM including the use of our new laser CAM machine.
If you are thinking of taking Resistant Materials please consider if:
• You enjoy problem solving and producing practical solutions to real life problems.
• You have the self discipline to work on your own and be willing to commit to use your own time to investigate your chosen problem.
• You can meet deadlines and enjoy seeing a task through to the end.
MOST OF ALL CHOOSE RESISTANT MATERIALS BECAUSE YOU ENJOY IT!