Financial Support

The 16-19 Bursary Fund

The government has set aside some money for schools, colleges, training providers and local authorities to allocate to young people who need financial support to stay on in further education or training. This is called the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

It could help you with any education-related costs that may arise during the school year, including essentials like a meal during the day or transport to your school or college. Or you might need extra help to buy books, clothing or equipment for your course, or pay for educational visits.

There are two types of bursaries, Vulnerable and Discretionary bursaries.

Vulnerable student bursary

You can apply for a vulnerable bursary if you:

  • Are in local authority care; or have recently left local authority (are a Care Leaver); or
  • Receive Income Support or Universal Credit in your own name; or
  • Are disabled and receive both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in your own name.

You could receive up to £1200 through a vulnerable student bursary. This is decided by the school or college and is dependent upon the course you study, your attendance and how far you have to travel.

Discretionary student bursary

You can apply for a discretionary bursary if you aren’t eligible for a vulnerable bursary but you need financial help to stay on in further education or training. The school will decide whether you will receive a discretionary bursary, how much you will get and what it should be used for.

The school will set its own eligibility criteria, a limited about of money is available and Kingsbury must ensure it is spent on the correct students.

Clare Bacciochi Educational Fund

Parents and students are also able to apply for financial support from the Clare Bacciochi Educational Fund in the same way as they have been able to throughout Key Stage 3 and 4.